A Listed Building is a building or other structure officially designated as being of special architectural, historical or cultural significance. It is a widely used status, applied to around half a million buildings.
Harlow has around 200 listed buildings.They are of great importance to the heritage of Harlow, especially as a New Town, and are viewed as irreplaceable assets.
One of the first post-war buildings to be Grade II listed by English Heritage was The Lawn, the first housing tower block of its kind in Britain and built in Harlow. Designed by Frederick Gibberd it opened in 1951.
Harlow Town Railway Station, built 1960 upon electrification of the Liverpool Street - Cambridge main line. It was added to the statutory list in 1996/7. Waiting shelters were restored to the platforms in 2005 and improved access for disabled passengers/staff is part of a newly upgrading scheme.
Orchard Croft, housing built in 1954 and given Grade II listing by English Heritage.
Kingsmoor House, Paringdon Rd, Harlow, a late C19 rebuild of a C18 house. Designated Grade II*
Cotswolds, Mulberry Green, Old Harlow is Grade II listed. It can be found on the north side of Old Harlow's most intact Georgian area, opposite the recently restored Mulberry Green House where the original west wing dates from c.1790 and the main facade dates from 1805.
Passmores House, the former Museum of Harlow, has been refurbished and extended for use as a rehabilitation centre by Vale House (Cowbridge, Hertford) who own the site of the caretaker's house but lease the main house from Harlow Council. It is Grade II listed.
Clock House, Puffers Green with its inscription "Work while it is light".
The Museum of Harlow, Muskham Road which incorporates the last cycle museum in Britain following the closure of that at Gainsborough Road, Lincoln.
Moot House, The Stow - originally the Vicarage of St.Mary-at-Latton Church - now the headquarters of Mark Hall & Netteswell Community Association.
Northbrooks House now an adult training centre (former community centre) east of Harberts Road, Toddbrook ward.
Toddbrook House now a veterinary surgery, west of Harberts Road
Netteswellbury Study Centre and Netteswellbury Farm, Waterhouse Moor
The majority of the churches in Harlow are listed, including St.Mary the Virgin, Our Lady of Fatima RC Church and St.Paul's Town Centre Church at College Gate.Previous Page: Places of Historic Interest
Next Page: Themed Walks